Efo Riro is a traditional dish eaten by the Yoruba tribe in Western Nigeria. It is prepared with assorted meat, large amount of green vegetables , and pepper. Some do add tomatoes in theirs but I don’t like adding tomatoes in mine because an authentic Efo Riro shouldn’t have tomatoes in it. Use this recipe to Cook Efo Riro for your family and experience a great difference. You can eat it boiled rice, Amala, Pounded yam,, or Eba as you wish.
This wonderful soup is enjoyed in all parts of Nigeria because of its healthy and nourishing nutrients. Try it out and thank me later…..Cheers!
- 4 Red bell peppers (Tatashe)
- 1 medium onion bulb
- 2-3 Scotch Bonnet (Ata Rodo)
Combine the above list in a blender and blend to a rough coarse consistency. Pour mixture into a strainer and rest to remove excess fluid.
- 1 cup of palm oil
- 1 medium onion bulb (thinly sliced)
- 2 Tablespoon blended crayfish
- 3 smoked Catfish preferably ( Optional )
- Parboiled meat ( Cow Feet or beef Shaki ( cow tripe), and Pommon ) 8 pieces
- Salt- to taste
- 2 cube maggi
- 3 packs of chopped frozen Kale leave or spinach (9 oz packs) – Defrosted
Place the Kale or spinach in a bowl, add water and rinse out the vegetable. Squeeze out all excess water.
- Place a large dry pot on a medium heat, add in the palm oil and heat until it begins to smoke a little
- Now add the sliced onions and fry for about 3 minutes
- Add the blended pepper, maggi cube, cow leg, shaki, Smoked Catfish, blended crayfish, Cover and leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes
- You can now add the Vegetable, combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning, leave to simmer for another 3- 5 more minutes.
- Serve with Rice, Eba, Semo, Yam, Pounded Yam, Eko, Fufu.