Nigerian Moi-moi or Moin-moin also known as Steamed Bean Pudding is a Nigerian Beans dish that originated from the Western Nigeria.” Moin-moin is made simply by peeling brown beans and milling/grinding the white bean shells with some peppers, onions and seasoning mixed with either Vegetable or Palm oil or a mixture of both. Moi-moi can either be steamed in Banana leaves, Foil Containers ( which I will be using for this recipe), Plastic/Freezer Bags, or Ramekins . It can be made with several fillings . I will be using just eggs and diced veggies for this recipe. Keep in mind that a perfect Moin-Moin has to be soft (not dense) but firm, moist (not dry, hard and crumbly) with a finely taste which is not over mechanized with seasoning cubes.
2 Cups Brown/Black Eyed Beans
2 Cooking Spoons Palm oil
1 Cooking Spoon Vegetable
2 Bell pepper (Tatashe)
2 Tablespoons Ground Crayfish
4 Boiled Eggs
1 Inch Ginger root
2 Seasoning cubes
Salt to taste
- Pre-soak your beans 1 hour. Peel off the skin of the beans ( You can use hand to peel it or blender), rinse, and remove shaft.
- Combine beans, red bell pepper, onion and and 1 cup water in a blender and blend.
- Add the Vegetable Oil
- Mix thoroughly, add the Seasoning cube, Crayfish and Salt to taste
- Mix the batter thoroughly for 10 minutes. After mixing, set aside
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius, or 160 for fan assisted ovens
- grease your Foil Containers to prevent the Moi-moi from sticking to the container
- Scoop the Moi-moi into each foil,and add your eggs and veggies
- place the Moi-moi on the baking tray and bake for 35-50 minutes
Don’t forget to like,share, and subscribe to the Blog for automated notifications of new recipes. see you in the next recipe!